Eastern Mennonite School joins home and church in calling students to faith in Jesus Christ, academic excellence, personal integrity, and compassionate service in the world.
Our educational philosophy:
EMS has served Harrisonburg and the surrounding counties for over 90 years, combining an academically challenging curriculum with a strong commitment to Christian discipleship, peace and justice issues, service, and a global outlook.
The K-12 curriculum is designed to foster reading, research, writing and presentation skills that grow student curiosity, creative and insightful thinking, organizational strategies and a moral social conscience. A strong college preparatory track includes honors, Advanced Placement, and other advanced courses. Regular activities are also designed to help students grow spiritually as well as intellectually. In study, worship, and play, students are challenged to integrate faith with life -- to learn and apply Biblical standards to life's decisions. A participatory-based co-curricular program at the elementary level encourages exploration of athletics and other interests. Secondary students further refine skills and confidence in performance through a music program, including a choir which tours internationally, drama and musical theater, service opportunities, a wide variety of clubs, and competitive athletics.
What can you expect from a Mennonite education?
A frequently asked question is whether Eastern Mennonite School is only for Mennonite students. We answer with an emphatic 'NO'. In fact, the majority of students in Mennonite schools are not from Mennonite backgrounds. We value and respect all people, believing each student is a special creation of God. We warmly welcome students and parents who resonate with our core values to join our school community.
Eastern Mennonite School is part of a network of Anabaptist lower and secondary schools, and post-secondary colleges and universities across the United States and Canada. These core values define the Anabaptist/Mennonite education experience:
- We provide each student with an academically challenging curriculum as well as a variety of opportunities that prepare readiness for post graduation goals.
- We respect and value all people as unique creations of God.
- We study scripture and live with Jesus Christ as our model.
- We build caring communities and teach and practice peaceful, restorative ways to resolve our differences.
- We nurture faith through the regular practice of prayer, reflection, worship and service to others.
- We offer primary allegiance to God. We respect the environment. We live generously and responsibly within our local community, and with concern for the broader world community.
Learn more about Mennonite Church USA.
Eastern Mennonite School does not discriminate on the basis of any race, color, handicap, national or ethnic origin, and admits students to all rights, privileges, programs and activities generally accorded or made available to students at the school.