EMS at a Glance
• Located inside Harrisonburg’s northern city limits, EMS is part of a rural and suburban community in the heart of Virginia’s Shenandoah Valley.
• EMES - K-5: 94
• EMMS - 6-8: 106
• EMHS - 9-12: 190
• Busing options from Bridgewater, Elkton, Harrisonburg & Waynesboro/Staunton
• Homestay arranged by the EMS Boarding Coordinator for up to 15 international students.
Teacher/Student Ratio: 1:12
• Certified teachers, many who hold master's degrees and are involved in profession-related associations, leadership and hobbies.
• Reading and Study Skills (RSS), Individualized Intensive Instruction (III), and tutoring options are offered to students who need academic assistance.
SAT Averages - 2014 Mean and Score Ranges:
Reading Writing Math
557 567 541
490-640 490-640 490-600
AP and Honors Courses:
Advanced Music Statistics (AP)
Biotechnology Research Writing
Calculus (AP) World History (AP)
English Literature (AP) Molecular Biology (AP)
Algebra II Novel
Creative Writing Pre-Calculus
Environmental Science Psychology
French III/IV Spanish III, IV, V
Global Anabaptism US History
Global Christianity World Issues
Lit/Writing 9 & 10 World History
Upperclassmen may take college classes at Eastern Mennonite University or James Madison University.
• Athletics: interscholastic sports - 7 for boys, 7 for girls; 24 teams
• Drama: At least 3 productions per school year
• Music: Jr. & Sr. Choirs, Touring Choir (auditioned) Chamber Choir (auditioned), Strings, Winds, Jazz, Full Orchestra
• Experiential Education: Curricular-based trip enrichment program occurs each Spring and every other summer.
• EMS offers limited financial aid based on family need as calculated by a third party.
• Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS) since 1957
• Virginia Association of Independent Schools (VAIS) since 2002
Eastern Mennonite School does not discriminate on the basis of any race, color, handicap, national or ethnic origin, and admits students to all rights, privileges, programs and activities generally accorded or made available to students at the school.